Learning / Senior School (Years 11 to 13)

Scholarships & Grants

Thinking of an Education Scholarship, Grant or Award?

College Testimonials & References for Scholarships

An Orewa College Testimonial is a statement of what a student has achieved at Orewa College. It would usually include such things as:

Academic achievements Extra curricular activities (e.g. sport, drama, music, debating, leadership) Comments from Staff Attendance data It is a useful summary of your achievements at Secondary school. Sometimes employers ask for a testimonial from your secondary school. It is a very useful addition to your CV.

How to get a Testimonial?

  • Collect a Testimonial/Scholarship Reference application form from careers.
  • Make sure you tick the Testimonial box.
  • When completed, hand it back to Careers.
  • This information, along with comments from your teachers, will be used to write a testimonial for you

Scholarship References

A reference is often required when applying for a scholarship. A scholarship reference is usually more targeted and so provides more specific information. Your referee (person who writes your reference) needs about 10 days to write a reference for you (so start early)

  • Complete a Testimonial/Scholarship Reference application form. Make sure you tick the Reference box.
  • Make sure you complete application well and that it has ALL the required information attached.
  • Then hand it to your preferred person (or the criteria may specify a person) who will then write your reference: eg HOD, Dean, Teacher or HOD Careers.

It is YOUR responsibility to maintain contact with your referee to ensure your reference is provided on time

If a university requires you to nominate a school representative from whom they can request a reference, and you are not sure who to ask, then provide them with the following email address:


Scholarship Information

Check out University Faculty websites for the scholarships they offer specific to their area of study

Use ‘givME’ website - a scholarship data base: http://generosity.org.nz/subscriber-login available free at school or public library. ‘givMe’ holds details of over 2200 funding schemes.

Orewa College Allan William Shaw Scholarships

Mr Shaw was an Hibiscus Coast resident who left to Orewa College students a generous provision for scholarships. These are administered by the Public Trust.

  • The link to online application forms (now only available online) will be available closer to the opening date.
  • Opens in ‘Smarty Grants’ July 2018
  • Access to ‘Smarty Grants’ closes August 2018

Accommodation References

When you apply for a University Residential College or Halls of Residence an Accommodation Reference request is automatically sent to HOD Careers. HOD Careers then completes and submits it. Any queries about Testimonials or References of any kind see Careers. Remember to start early