Information / General Information

Absentees and Leave

Absent for Sickness

We ask parents/caregivers to advise the school by email or use the Orewa College app on your phone (available at the App store or Google play). Click here for instructions.

A child’s absence must be followed-up with a letter to their Teacher or Form Teacher confirming the absence.

If a student is marked absent for an unknown reason, a text message will be sent to the main caregiver’s mobile phone. Please text back a reply. We are only able to receive replies to messages we send on the day.

We also have an 'Ask, Warn, Consequence' system where we email parents/caregivers directly with any unexplained absences for the previous week. We always text a parent/caregiver when there is an unexplained absence, please reply to these on the same day you receive them or follow up with an email to

Any unexplained absences will be treated at truancy.

Planned Absences (Family Holidays)

If a student is to absent from school during the term we need a letter from the parent/caregiver requesting the leave, giving the dates and reason for the planned absence. Please email this to the Principal at

Year 9 -13 students will be provided with a yellow form (available from Student Reception) that will need to be completed by each of the students teachers and return this form to Mrs McCarthny, Deputy Principal.

Students are likely to be ineligible for an NCEA assessment that is held during their absence.

The expected standard for attendance is 90% for inclusion in restricted courses and for eligibility for school trips, teams and graduation. Your child’s attendance can be monitored the school WebPortal.

The percentage of attendance is printed on students reports or can be requested by emailing The percentage is calculated on students being present at school or on a school based activity. Medical and other absences e.g. family reasons with lower this percentage.

Appointments Leave (Dr, Dentist, Physio etc)

If your child has an arranged appointment parents/caregivers are requested to send details of when child will be absent to or use the school app.

If you need to contact your child during the day for an appointment please email or call Student Reception.

Students Arriving Late

All students who arrive to school late must sign in at Student Reception with a note explaining their lateness from their parent/caregiver.

  • Year 7 and 8 students leaving the school for legitimate appointments must be accompanied by their parent/caregiver from Student Reception.
  • Year 9-13 students leaving the school for legitimate appointments must have a note from their parents/caregiver. You can either email this through to or student can bring this to Student Reception.